Wednesday, July 2, 2008



Tripoli was the last city I visited and the place of my last photo in Lebanon. The typical concrete block of flats and office buildings that form the skyline of most Lebanese cities are seen in the back fronted by what remains of the old town with its mosques, minarets, madrasses and hammams. The remaining bullet pocked walls of some abandoned houses near the citadel in the foreground are a reminder of the violence of the recent past. Shortly after taking this photo I thought I heard gunshots from the old city below. About fifteen minutes later, when I entered a small square a couple of blocks from my hostel, three armored vehicles and nearly fifty rifle-toting troops quickly encircled and closed off the area. A local shopkeeper told me that one man in a heated argument had pulled out a pistol and fired it in the air to emphasize the point he was making. With tensions high, the army was quickly called in to calm the situation. It seems that one small spark could potentially ignite a new conflict. By the way, the shopkeeper also told me that a man had been killed at the citadel just the day before. Wow! Nice to know...

No comments: